Get to know the UK’s Telecommunications industry and the companies involved in fibre connectivity, 5G and satellite communications. View company data, industry trends, market size, financials and download our free sector report today.
Get this Data
The Telecommunications industry provides key transmission services that allow us to communicate via voice, data, text, sound, video and other methods.
Largely comprised of telephone companies and internet service providers, the UK Telecommunications sector has grown significantly over the past 20 years, with companies involved in 5G technology, fibre connectivity, wireless networks, broadcasting and satellite communications.
Telecommunications sector summary
Key information you should know about the Telecommunications sector from our AI-driven platform of over 5 million companies:
- Telecommunications has turnover of £66.59bn, meaning it is our 18th largest RTIC, and our 6th fastest growing sector.
- The Telecommunications sector has not received additional investor attention in recent years and the amount of venture capital funding is not increasing as fast as our other emerging economy sectors.
- On average the roles advertised in this sector are 9.06% lower than the UK’s average salary.
Our Telecommunications RTIC is made up of 7 individual industry verticals, including verticals such as 5G Radio Access Network, Broadcasting, Fibre Connectivity. You can find out more about the verticals by buying a report, visualising the sector on our platform, or by downloading the data.
- Sector Code Description Records
- RTIC0056 Telecommunications 2998 companies
Companies involved in; 5G Radio Access Network, Broadcasting, Fibre Connectivity, Network Providers, Satellite Communications, Site Services, Wireless Connectivity.
- Telecommunications: 5G Radio Access Network231 companies
Companies specialised in the development of 5G technology and networks
- Telecommunications: Broadcasting567 companies
Companies dedicated to the distribution of audio-visual content (digital and analogue) / bilateral communication techniques
- Telecommunications: Fibre Connectivity554 companies
Companies involved in the administration/development of fibre networks.
- Telecommunications: Network Providers475 companies
Network connectivity suppliers
- Telecommunications: Satellite Communications272 companies
Companies focused on the development/maintenance of satellite-based connectivity
- Telecommunications: Site Services1431 companies
Companies dedicated to the development/maintenance/administration of infrastructures that provide telecommunication services to geographic zones
- Telecommunications: Wireless Connectivity574 companies
Companies involved in the administration/development of wireless networks
Telecommunications industry growth
We estimate that the UK Telecommunications sector could be worth approximately £106.3bn by 2027, based on the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.8%. Below you can see the five year turnover forecast for the RTIC from 2023 to 2027.
Get your free Telecommunications report
Dig deeper into the UK’s Telecommunications Economy with our free 2023 RTIC report, which includes:
– Summary of RTIC data & industry performance
– Overview of key verticals
– Geographic analysis & breakdown
– Key insights & trends
At The Data City we’re mapping the emerging economy through accurate and reliable real-time data. We’ve produced Real-Time Industrial Classifications (RTICs) for some of the UK’s fastest growing sectors, across over 350 industry verticals, including the Telecommunications industry.
Discover more RTICs and access our other free reports today.
Who we work with
National / local government, councils & LEPs
Venture Capital, Private Equity & M&A teams
Marketing & Lead Gen Agencies
“ Through this visual mapping project, Greater Manchester will be able to showcase our success in the digital sector. “Andy Burnham | MAYOR GREATER MANCHESTER
“ Working with The Data City has been a pleasure and particularly helpful for understanding newer and emerging businesses. “JOSHUA HAWKINS, LEAD OFFICER INTERNATIONAL | MIDLANDS ENGINE
“ If you care about technology driven economic growth, you should care about RTICs. “STIAN WESTLAKE | CEO ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY