Find out more about the UK’s thriving Artificial Intelligence (AI) industry and the companies pioneering in Machine Learning (ML), Blockchain, Natural Language Processing and beyond.
View our AI Real-Time Industrial Classification (RTIC) today and access company, financial, investment and employee data for one of the UK’s fastest growing sectors.
Get this Data
Artificial Intelligence or AI is a broad term used to define the use of computer systems and machines that emulate human intelligence or processes to solve problems.
When we refer to AI as a field, in most cases we mean the practical application of perceived intelligence or the ability to perform certain tasks that might normally be undertaken by intelligent beings. AI subfields such Machine Learning and Deep Learning (including neural networks) are being used commercially across the sector by companies working in areas such as data analysis, image processing, blockchain, automation and natural language processing, and have lead to a thriving UK emerging economy.
Artificial Intelligence sector summary
Key information you should know about the Artificial Intelligence sector from our AI-driven platform of over 5 million companies:
- The amount of Innovate UK grants is not increasing as fast in the Artificial Intelligence sector, as our other emerging economy sectors.
- Artificial Intelligence has turnover of £30.22bn, meaning it is our 22nd largest RTIC, and our 2nd fastest growing sector.
- The Artificial Intelligence sector is one of our top 10 sectors for overall venture capital funding.
Artificial Intelligence verticals
Our Artificial Intelligence RTIC is made up of 11 individual industry verticals, including verticals such as Blockchain, Data Analysis, Enabling Platforms. You can find out more about the verticals by buying a report, visualising the sector on our platform, or by downloading the data.
- Sector Code Description Records
- RTIC0004 Artificial Intelligence 3153 companies
Companies working with artificial intellience (often machine learning) in areas such as; Data Analysis, Enabling Platforms, Image Processing, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Blockchain, GreenTech, Life Sciences, Industry 4.0 and Automation, Systems Optimisation, Signal Processing
- Artificial Intelligence: Blockchain231 companies
Companies producing AI algorithms for blockchain products and services
- Artificial Intelligence: Data Analysis871 companies
Companies providing AI technology for data processing and analysis
- Artificial Intelligence: Enabling Platforms591 companies
Companies that build AI applications into intuitive platforms for non-expert users
- Artificial Intelligence: Green Tech349 companies
Companies using AI to create products and/or services aimed towards net zero, environmental monitoring or energy management
- Artificial Intelligence: Image Processing200 companies
Companies providing AI products that allow for the in-depth analysis of still images
- Artificial Intelligence: Industry 4.0 and Automation371 companies
Companies creating AI products that supporting smart factories and automation for the manufacturing sector
- Artificial Intelligence: Life Sciences342 companies
Companies creating AI applications supporting innovation and research in the field of life sciences
- Artificial Intelligence: Machine Learning1095 companies
Companies integrating machine learning algorithms into AI products
- Artificial Intelligence: Natural Language Processing169 companies
Companies developing AI technology capable to find patterns, meaning and tone in text data
- Artificial Intelligence: Signal Processing502 companies
Companies producing AI technology that can identify, process and analyse inputs (voice, video, movement, temperature, etc.) in real-time
- Artificial Intelligence: Systems Optimisation186 companies
Companies producing AI applications aimed to improve the functionality and precision of other technologies/applications
Artificial Intelligence industry growth
We estimate that the UK Artificial Intelligence sector could be worth almost £43bn by 2027, based on the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.2%. Below you can see the five year turnover forecast for the RTIC from 2023 to 2027.
Download our free AI report
Dig deeper into the UK’s Artificial Intelligence (AI) industry with our free 2022 RTIC report, which includes:
– Summary of RTIC data & industry performance
– Overview of key verticals
– Geographic analysis & breakdown
– Key insights & trends
At The Data City we’re mapping the emerging economy through accurate and reliable real-time data. We’ve produced Real-Time Industrial Classifications (RTICs) for some of the UK’s fastest growing sectors, across over 350 industry verticals, including AI.
Discover more RTICs and access our other free reports today.
Who we work with
National / local government, councils & LEPs
Venture Capital, Private Equity & M&A teams
Marketing & Lead Gen Agencies
“ Through this visual mapping project, Greater Manchester will be able to showcase our success in the digital sector. “Andy Burnham | MAYOR GREATER MANCHESTER
“ Working with The Data City has been a pleasure and particularly helpful for understanding newer and emerging businesses. “JOSHUA HAWKINS, LEAD OFFICER INTERNATIONAL | MIDLANDS ENGINE
“ If you care about technology driven economic growth, you should care about RTICs. “STIAN WESTLAKE | CEO ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY