Find out more about the UK’s EdTech industry and the companies creating technology that supports teaching and learning through our real-time data and sector trends.
Get this Data
Another abbreviation for you! EdTech means Educational Technology. It’s a term used to describe technology – such as software, devices or products – that supports teaching and learning or enhances educational outcomes.
The UK’s EdTech sector is made up of a wide range of companies and start-ups who are all contributing to education in different ways. This ranges from the development of immersive teaching environments and LMS software to the production of smart learning devices and tablets.
EdTech sector summary
Key information you should know about the EdTech sector from our AI-driven platform of over 5 million companies:
- EdTech has turnover of £11.4bn, meaning it is our 42nd largest RTIC, and our 45th fastest growing sector.
- The EdTech sector has not received additional investor attention in recent years and the amount of venture capital funding is not increasing as fast as our other emerging economy sectors.
- On average the roles advertised in this sector are 7.32% higher than the UK’s average salary.
Our EdTech RTIC is made up of 5 individual industry verticals, including verticals such as Artificial Intelligence, Devices, Digital Learning. You can find out more about the verticals by buying a report, visualising the sector on our platform, or by downloading the data.
- Sector Code Description Records
- RTIC0010 EdTech 1402 companies
Companies creating technology that supports teaching and learning and enhances educational outcomes.
- EdTech: Artificial Intelligence135 companies
Companies applying AI technologies to manage digital learning environments and related data.
- EdTech: Devices495 companies
Companies providing devices such as computers, tablets, whiteboards and others specifically used for educational uses
- EdTech: Digital Learning664 companies
Companies developing products and/or services that enable the establishment of virtual learning environments.
- EdTech: Immersive Experiences218 companies
Companies applying immersive technologies for training and education purposes
- EdTech: Learning Management Systems509 companies
Companies offering LMS software, which is used for delivering, tracking and managing training/education.
EdTech industry growth
We estimate that the UK EdTech sector could be worth approximately £13.1bn by 2027, based on the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.9%. Below you can see the five year turnover forecast for the RTIC from 2023 to 2027.
Get your free EdTech report
Dig deeper into the UK’s EdTech industry with our free 2022 RTIC report, which includes:
– Summary of RTIC data & industry performance
– Overview of key verticals
– Geographic analysis & breakdown
– Key insights & trends
At The Data City we’re mapping the emerging economy through accurate and reliable real-time data. We’ve produced Real-Time Industrial Classifications (RTICs) for some of the UK’s fastest growing sectors, across over 350 industry verticals, including EdTech.
Discover more RTICs and access our other free reports today.
Who we work with
National / local government, councils & LEPs
Venture Capital, Private Equity & M&A teams
Marketing & Lead Gen Agencies
“ Through this visual mapping project, Greater Manchester will be able to showcase our success in the digital sector. “Andy Burnham | MAYOR GREATER MANCHESTER
“ Working with The Data City has been a pleasure and particularly helpful for understanding newer and emerging businesses. “JOSHUA HAWKINS, LEAD OFFICER INTERNATIONAL | MIDLANDS ENGINE
“ If you care about technology driven economic growth, you should care about RTICs. “STIAN WESTLAKE | CEO ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY