We worked with Immerse UK and Oxford Insights to map the UK’s Immersive Economy, helping to produce a report that measured the scale, nature, and economic value of the UK’s virtual, augmented, and mixed reality ecosystem
From Virtual Reality to the Metaverse, uncover the UK’s emerging Immersive Technologies industry and the tech companies that make up the sector through real-time industrial data.
Get this Data
Immersive Technologies is a broad term used to describe any technology that extends or alters our current reality typically within the 360-degree space.
Examples of Immersive Technologies include Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), 360 and Mixed Reality (MR). Extended Reality (XR) is the terms often used to describe this full suite of Immersive Tech.
As the industry has grown, so has the application of Immersive Tech in the UK, with XR now extending far beyond the likes of VR gaming, with uses across architecture, the EdTech industry, healthcare, retail, the Metaverse and more.
Immersive Technology sector summary
Key information you should know about the Immersive Technologies sector from our AI-driven platform of over 5 million companies:
- Immersive Technologies has turnover of £1.68bn, meaning it is our 53rd largest RTIC, and our 2nd fastest growing sector.
- The Immersive Technologies sector is getting a lot of attention from investors and is one of the top 10 fastest growing sectors for venture capital funding.
- On average the roles advertised in this sector are 3.47% lower than the UK’s average salary.
Immersive Technologies verticals
Our Immersive Technologies RTIC is made up of 15 individual industry verticals, including verticals such as 360°, Augmented Reality, Architecture & Construction. You can find out more about the verticals by buying a report, visualising the sector on our platform, or by downloading the data.
- Sector Code Description Records
- RTIC0018 Immersive Technologies 1962 companies
Companies and start-ups focused on the development, manufacturing, and delivery of Immersive Technologies, including Augmented Reality, Haptics, Hardware, the Metaverse and more.
- Immersive Technologies: 360°453 companies
Companies that transform live filmed content into an immersive 360-degree experience.
- Immersive Technologies: Architecture & Construction187 companies
Companies adapting immersive technologies for architectural design, property sale and construction activities.
- Immersive Technologies: Augmented Reality463 companies
Companies developing technology to enhance the real world by overlaying computer generated content.
- Immersive Technologies: Edtech263 companies
Companies applying immersive technologies in education.
- Immersive Technologies: Emerging Markets21 companies
Companies applying immersive technologies to a variety of non-traditional markets, like data analytics, 5G or the creation of digital humans.
- Immersive Technologies: Gaming163 companies
Companies developing immersive experiences and games utilising immersive technologies.
- Immersive Technologies: Haptics38 companies
Companies developing technologies that can create touch-based experiences to be used along other immersive technologies.
- Immersive Technologies: Hardware33 companies
Companies manufacturing the hardware that embeds immersive technology software.
- Immersive Technologies: Healthcare46 companies
Companies applying immersive technologies for the development of medical practice.
- Immersive Technologies: Manufacturing & Engineering115 companies
Companies developing immersive tools to aid in engineering and manufacturing processes.
- Immersive Technologies: Media253 companies
Companies developing media for Immersive Technologies, including animation, character development, sound effects and soundtracks.
- Immersive Technologies: Metaverse134 companies
Companies building the digital infrastructure and tools for the development of the metaverse as a digital space.
- Immersive Technologies: Mixed Reality384 companies
Companies developing technology in a similar way to Augmented Reality, with a concentration on interaction between real world and computer-generated objects.
- Immersive Technologies: Retail & Fashion48 companies
Companies applying immersive technologies in large retail complexes, E-commerce and fashion design and advertising.
- Immersive Technologies: Virtual Reality1121 companies
Companies providing technologies that allow for users’ complete immersion in an alternative environment.
Immersive Technologies industry growth
We estimate that the UK Immersive Technologies sector could be worth approximately £3.2bn by 2027, based on the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 13.8%. Below you can see the five year turnover forecast for the RTIC from 2023 to 2027.
At The Data City we’re mapping the emerging economy through accurate and reliable real-time data. We’ve produced Real-Time Industrial Classifications (RTICs) for some of the UK’s fastest growing sectors, across over 350 industry verticals, including Immersive Technologies.
Discover more RTICs and access our other free reports today.
Who we work with
National / local government, councils & LEPs
Venture Capital, Private Equity & M&A teams
Marketing & Lead Gen Agencies
“ Through this visual mapping project, Greater Manchester will be able to showcase our success in the digital sector. “Andy Burnham | MAYOR GREATER MANCHESTER
“ Working with The Data City has been a pleasure and particularly helpful for understanding newer and emerging businesses. “JOSHUA HAWKINS, LEAD OFFICER INTERNATIONAL | MIDLANDS ENGINE
“ If you care about technology driven economic growth, you should care about RTICs. “STIAN WESTLAKE | CEO ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY