Find out more about the UK’s thriving Advanced Manufacturing industry and those investing in innovative technologies and processes to increase productivity. Get an accurate view of the sector through innovative financial, company, funding and growth data today.
Get this Data
Advanced Manufacturing is the term used to describe innovation within the manufacturing industry. Advanced Manufacturing within the UK can be used to classify companies that use innovative technologies and processes to increase production and productivity.
Typically, what’s different between traditional and advanced manufacturing is the use of versatile production methods that drive efficiency. This includes companies leveraging automation, robotics, artificial intelligence, software, AR & VR, digital design and other cutting-edge processes that add value in the manufacturing process.
Advanced Manufacturing helps to support a wide range of other industries, with techniques being used across electric vehicle production, robotics, pharmaceuticals and much more.
Advanced Manufacturing sector summary
Key information you should know about the Advanced Manufacturing sector from our AI-driven platform of over 5 million companies:
- Advanced Manufacturing has turnover of £79.49bn, meaning it is our 11th largest RTIC, and our 48th fastest growing sector.
- The amount of Innovate UK grants is not increasing as fast in the Advanced Manufacturing sector, as our other emerging economy sectors.
- Advanced Manufacturing is in our top 10 for regional diversity.
Advanced Manufacturing verticals
Our Advanced Manufacturing RTIC is made up of 15 individual industry verticals, including verticals such as Advanced Measurement, Artificial Intelligence, Augmented and Virtual Reality. You can find out more about the verticals by buying a report, visualising the sector on our platform, or by downloading the data.
- Sector Code Description Records
- RTIC0065 Advanced Manufacturing 11941 companies
Companies using the most innovative technologies and processes to increase productivity, often in the highest value-add parts of manufacturing sectors.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Advanced Measurement274 companies
Companies which can complete the measurement of workpieces between operations with high speed, high efficiency, high accuracy and high flexibility.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Artificial Intelligence546 companies
Companies leveraging AI and machine learning, manufacturers can improve operational efficiency, launch new products, customize product designs and plan future financial action.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Augmented and Virtual Reality194 companies
Enhancing and augmenting existing product and service design and enabling entirely new techniques using virtual worlds
- Advanced Manufacturing: Coating Tech1325 companies
Companies offering services for covering that is applied to the surface of an object, usually referred to as the substrate. The purpose of applying the coating may be decorative, functional, or both.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Computer Aided Manufacturing2344 companies
Companies using software and computer-controlled machinery to automate a manufacturing process.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Cutting and Machining970 companies
Cutting is a technique where the operator moves a material (workpiece) such as metal and the tool in relation to each other in order to shape the workpiece into the desired form through shaving, drilling, etc
- Advanced Manufacturing: Data Services438 companies
Companies using data to drive efficient and responsive production systems.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Digital Design1857 companies
Digital Design, Manufacturing & Services (DDMS) is a digital-first approach to the way products are designed, manufactured and operated.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Digital Twins121 companies
The digital twin is a virtual representation of the as-designed, as-built, and as-maintained physical product
- Advanced Manufacturing: Forging1965 companies
Forging is a manufacturing process involving the shaping of a metal through hammering, pressing, or rolling.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Forming1646 companies
Forming is a mechanical process used in manufacturing industries wherein materials (mostly metals) undergo plastic deformations and acquire required shapes and sizes by application of suitable stresses such as compression, shear and tension
- Advanced Manufacturing: Industrial IoT474 companies
The industrial internet of things (IIoT) refers to interconnected sensors, instruments, and other devices networked together with computers’ industrial applications.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Moulding559 companies
A process that involves shaping a liquid or malleable raw material by using a fixed frame; known as either a mould or a matrix.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Prototyping1874 companies
Companies creating early samples, models, or releases of a product built to test a concept or process.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Robotics and Automation996 companies
Robotic Process Automation, or RPA, is software that is integrated with business processes in order to automate certain activities, minimize human errors, and maximize productivity
Advanced Manufacturing industry growth
We estimate that the UK Advanced Manufacturing sector could be worth almost £82bn by 2027, based on the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 0.7%. Below you can see the five year turnover forecast for the RTIC from 2023 to 2027.
Get your free Advanced Manufacturing report
Dig deeper into the UK’s Advanced Manufacturing industry with our free 2022 RTIC report, which includes:
– Summary of RTIC data & industry performance
– Overview of key verticals
– Geographic analysis & breakdown
– Key insights & trends
At The Data City we’re mapping the emerging economy through accurate and reliable real-time data. We’ve produced Real-Time Industrial Classifications (RTICs) for some of the UK’s fastest growing sectors, across over 350 industry verticals, including Advanced Manufacturing.
Discover more RTICs and access our other free reports today.
Who we work with
National / local government, councils & LEPs
Venture Capital, Private Equity & M&A teams
Marketing & Lead Gen Agencies
“ Through this visual mapping project, Greater Manchester will be able to showcase our success in the digital sector. “Andy Burnham | MAYOR GREATER MANCHESTER
“ Working with The Data City has been a pleasure and particularly helpful for understanding newer and emerging businesses. “JOSHUA HAWKINS, LEAD OFFICER INTERNATIONAL | MIDLANDS ENGINE
“ If you care about technology driven economic growth, you should care about RTICs. “STIAN WESTLAKE | CEO ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY