Get know the UK’s Advanced Materials industry and the companies innovating in biomaterials, composites and carbon-based materials. View sector trends, industry growth, key financial information and download our free sector report today.
Get this Data
Advanced Materials is an emerging trend of new materials with enhanced or superior properties being designed, produced and used to increase performance in the manufacturing industry.
There are a broad range of companies and start-ups in the UK working to create, commercialise and improve materials and products that incorporate Advanced Materials. Today the industry encompasses a wide range of practices from the creation of biomaterials and carbon-based materials to the development of technical ceramics and specialised metal alloys.
Advanced Materials are integral for the design, production and improvement of many innovative new products and devices, including lasers, fiber optics and smartphones.
Advanced Materials sector summary
Key information you should know about the Advanced Materials sector from our AI-driven platform of over 5 million companies:
- On average the roles advertised in this sector are 35.96% lower than the UK’s average salary.
- The Advanced Materials sector has not received additional investor attention in recent years and the amount of venture capital funding is not increasing as fast as our other emerging economy sectors.
- Advanced Materials is in our top 10 for regional diversity, with 90.8% of business premises located outside of London.
Advanced Materials verticals
Our Advanced Materials RTIC is made up of 11 individual industry verticals, including verticals such as Biomaterials, Carbon-Based, Coatings. You can find out more about the verticals by buying a report, visualising the sector on our platform, or by downloading the data.
- Sector Code Description Records
- RTIC0034 Advanced Materials 2285 companies
Companies working to create, commercialise, and improve materials and products incorporating advanced materials. RTIC developed in partnership with government and experts from the KTN in Q1 2021.
- Advanced Materials: Biomaterials101 companies
Companies creating innovative bio materials
- Advanced Materials: Carbon-Based145 companies
Companies developing new carbon-based materials, like graphene
- Advanced Materials: Coatings572 companies
Companies developing coatings for advanced manufacturing products/technologies, or to be used in harsh environments
- Advanced Materials: Composites413 companies
Companies providing innovative composites
- Advanced Materials: Electrochemical151 companies
Companies providing electrochemical materials crucial for electronic devices
- Advanced Materials: Emergent131 companies
Companies pioneering the field of emergent materials, like 2D materials.
- Advanced Materials: Metals113 companies
Companies creating specialised alloys
- Advanced Materials: Optics and Photonics188 companies
Companies producing materials for the photonics and optics industry, and/or application of photonics and optics knowledge to new materials
- Advanced Materials: Polymers333 companies
Companies developing new polymer-based materials
- Advanced Materials: Technical Ceramics and Glass219 companies
Companies engaging in the production of technical ceramics and glass
- Advanced Materials: Technical Textiles245 companies
Companies dedicated to the development of technical textiles
Advanced Materials industry growth
We estimate that the UK Advanced Materials sector could be worth approximately £73.3bn by 2027, based on the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 1%. Below you can see the five year turnover forecast for the RTIC from 2023 to 2027.
Get your free Advanced Materials report
Dig deeper into the UK’s Advanced Materials industry with our free 2023 RTIC report, which includes:
– Summary of RTIC data & industry performance
– Overview of key verticals
– Geographic analysis & breakdown
– Key insights & trends
At The Data City we’re mapping the emerging economy through accurate and reliable real-time data. We’ve produced Real-Time Industrial Classifications (RTICs) for some of the UK’s fastest growing sectors, across over 350 industry verticals, including the Advanced Materials industry.
Discover more RTICs and access our other free reports today.
Who we work with
National / local government, councils & LEPs
Venture Capital, Private Equity & M&A teams
Marketing & Lead Gen Agencies
“ Through this visual mapping project, Greater Manchester will be able to showcase our success in the digital sector. “Andy Burnham | MAYOR GREATER MANCHESTER
“ Working with The Data City has been a pleasure and particularly helpful for understanding newer and emerging businesses. “JOSHUA HAWKINS, LEAD OFFICER INTERNATIONAL | MIDLANDS ENGINE
“ If you care about technology driven economic growth, you should care about RTICs. “STIAN WESTLAKE | CEO ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY