Immersive technologies produce virtual content users can directly interact with. From full virtual environments to holograms, immersive tech brings people and digital content close together. One of the most popular immersive products is Pokémon Go, the augmented reality game that got millions to hit the streets to find and catch charismatic digital creatures. But immersive technologies are not only disrupting the entertainment industry. They are on the rise for training purposes, in advertisement and in the arts -between other fields. However, there is no dataset that compiles information on the sector for the UK. For this reason, we have decided to produce an RTIC to fill the gap and address immersive technologies as an industrial sector for the first time.
Immersive technologies verticals
- Virtual Reality: refers to the creation of a virtual world independent from the physical world, which users can explore and interact with.
- Augmented Reality: describes the development of digital entities that appear in relation to the physical world. However, these entities do not have the capability to interact with real-world items.
- Mixed Reality: as with augmented reality, mixed reality technologies present digital entities in the physical world. In contrast, mixed-reality entities can interact with physical items. One of the best representations of MR are holograms.
- 360°: these technologies capture an static environment through photography or video for virtual display. The display can be viewed though headsets or screens, however, users cannot interact with it.
- Media: these are the companies developing and using the technologies that support the production of immersive content. From character development to sound effects, they are a central for the delivery of immersive experiences.
Altogether, immersive technologies are critical resources disrupting a wide range of sectors. Specifically, we have noted they are increasingly applied in the fields of natural and life sciences. If you want to know more about the sector, contact us and continue visiting our website: we will be sharing insights soon!