UK Media and Publishing Industry
We’ve mapped the UK’s Media and Publishing industry using our Real-Time Industrial Classifications (RTICs). Find out more about this emerging sector through our innovative financial, company, funding, and growth data.
Get this Data
What is Media and Publishing?
Media and Publishing is a broad term used to describe the publication of content online, in print or through a variety of other mediums. This includes agencies, organisations and groups involved in the production and distribution of information through broadcast, print, video, music and other forms of media.
The Media and Publishing industry in the UK is a broad and growing sector, ranging from broadcasting and video production companies right the way through to printing companies and publishing houses.
Media and Publishing sector summary
Key information you should know about the Media and Publishing sector from our AI-driven platform of over 5 million companies:
- Media and Publishing has turnover of £21.17bn, meaning it is our 29th largest RTIC, and our 37th fastest growing sector.
- The Media and Publishing sector has not received additional investor attention in recent years and the amount of venture capital funding is not increasing as fast as our other emerging economy sectors.
- On average the roles advertised in this sector are 21.76% lower than the UK’s average salary
Media and Publishing verticals
Our Media and Publishing RTIC is made up of 5 individual industry verticals, including verticals such as Broadcasting Services, Printing Services, Publishing Services. You can find out more about the verticals by buying a report, visualising the sector on our platform, or by downloading the data.
- Sector Code Description Records
- RTIC0068 Media and Publishing 10719 companies
Companies involved with the distribution of information in any form or medium.
- Media and Publishing: Broadcasting Services1548 companies
Companies offering the technology and services that make broadcasting content possible.
- Media and Publishing: Printing Services3741 companies
Companies offering printing services
- Media and Publishing: Publishing Services2990 companies
Companies offering publishing services for printed media.
- Media and Publishing: Sound and Music production1658 companies
Companies engaged in sound recording and publishing.
- Media and Publishing: Video and Motion Graphics production2090 companies
Companies involved in the development of video content
Media and Publishing industry growth
We estimate that the UK Media and Publishing sector could be worth approximately £24.9bn by 2027, based on the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.3%. Below you can see the five year turnover forecast for the RTIC from 2023 to 2027.
Get your free Media and Publishing report
Dig deeper into the UK’s Media and Publishing Industry with our free 2023 RTIC report, which includes:
– Summary of RTIC data & industry performance
– Overview of key verticals
– Geographic analysis & breakdown
– Key insights & trends
Real-Time Industrial Classifications (RTICs)
At The Data City we’re mapping the emerging economy through accurate and reliable real-time data. We’ve produced Real-Time Industrial Classifications (RTICs) for some of the UK’s fastest growing sectors, across over 350 industry verticals, including the Media and Publishing industry.
Discover more RTICs and access our other free reports today.
Who we work with
National / local government, councils & LEPs
Venture Capital, Private Equity & M&A teams
Marketing & Lead Gen Agencies
“ Through this visual mapping project, Greater Manchester will be able to showcase our success in the digital sector. “Andy Burnham | MAYOR GREATER MANCHESTER
“ Working with The Data City has been a pleasure and particularly helpful for understanding newer and emerging businesses. “JOSHUA HAWKINS, LEAD OFFICER INTERNATIONAL | MIDLANDS ENGINE
“ If you care about technology driven economic growth, you should care about RTICs. “STIAN WESTLAKE | CEO ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY