- Role: Front-end Developer
- Role type: Permanent
- Role hours: Full time/ flexible
- Location: Leeds
- Deadline: 30th November 2023 (we will interview before this date, so apply ASAP)
Who we are:
The Data City is a tech scale up, a SaaS provider of business data to Government and the private sector. We develop definitive economic insights using Open Data, The Web, and Artificial Intelligence.
We are building one of the world’s most valuable data assets, measuring economic growth, innovation, and investment. We are disrupting how decisions are made about economic policy and investments in our cities and towns, our ambition is global.
We are based in Leeds and operate across the UK, working with a wide range of national and local government organisations and private companies. Our next stage of growth involves the development of a global product.
You are capable and curious, with experience across a range of development stacks, as comfortable on working on Front-end adaptions as you are in considering database requirements.
We want someone who cares about the detail and looks at the ‘full cycle’ of the product and what implications your front-end changes might have further down the line- solving problems and constantly thinking about future opportunities.
What you will do:
You will work closely with our two developers- making constant improvements and updates to our WordPress website, along with making modifications, maintenance and user interface updates on our platform. This involves working closely with Marketing and all members of the team, to understand our clients needs. We work in a fast-paced environment where you will be given the opportunity to work collectively- whilst being given the autonomy to make a difference- we have a commitment to efficient code and trustworthy algorithms, an exciting roadmap to be even better and we know that your experience and ideas will improve it.
You will work as part of a team understanding what we are currently delivering in our projects to clients and in our core SaaS offering, this is the way that we all understand what features our clients need from our product now and in the future.
Your qualifications and experience:
You will have varied experience, so we don’t have a ‘tick box’ of requirements, but are looking for someone who probably has;
- At least three years of Front-end experience.
- In depth knowledge of WordPress
- Strong PHP experience, especially working with REST API’s
- A GitHub (or similar) account and some history of publishing as well as using open source and shared code.
- Some record of working in the open, sharing code and ideas, attending events relevant to your profession.
Experience with any of the following will be beneficial but not mandatory:
- Azure App Services
- GitHub workflows
What we will provide:
- Opportunity to work in a world leading data science and economics scale-up – with big ambitions and the team to deliver these.
- Guidance on your work with autonomy to create and implement your ideas.
- Flexible work hours. We have very high standards and we trust you to meet them without micro-management.
- The tools, computers, and software, that you need to do a great job.
- OKRs plan focused on supporting you to deliver YOUR best.
- An extensive Vitality healthcare package
- Medicash plan
- Nest pension
- Benefits designed around you (whilst we have socials and team activities, our benefits packages are designed around each person- because we know a high performing team is made up for very different types of people. Whilst buying a bike for one person might be brilliant, for another it could be redesigning their home office, or paying for training…)
- The opportunity to work in our open-plan, collaborative innovation workspace in central Leeds to support team development, your knowledge and growth. Our team come together at least twice a week.
Please send: a cover letter (no more than one page) & a CV (no more than two pages). Examples of your work are expected and alternatives to a standard CV are very much encouraged, but please keep them short.
- Interviews will be done as a short phone call (circa 15 minutes)
- 2nd stage is a Teams interview where the team would discuss your work and skills
We will be interviewing for this role before the deadline, therefore you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.