- Role: Junior Data Engineer
- Role type: Permanent
- Role hours: Full time/ flexible
- Location: Leeds
- Deadline: 1st December 2023 (we will interview before this date, so apply ASAP)
Who we are:
The Data City is a tech scale up, a SaaS provider of business data to Government and the private sector. We develop definitive economic insights using Open Data, The Web, and Artificial Intelligence.
We are building one of the world’s most valuable data assets, measuring economic growth, innovation, and investment. We are disrupting how decisions are made about economic policy and investments in our cities and towns, our ambition is global.
We are based in Leeds and operate across the UK, working with a wide range of national and local government organisations and private companies. Our next stage of growth involves the development of a global product.
You are a capable, curious, and ambitious Data Analyst, who wants to help us build the world’s best data products, measuring investment, innovation and the economic structures of our cities and towns, and tell stories to help our customers and generate interest in our products.
You will join an innovative data business that is changing the world of economics and cities, using data science and artificial intelligence.
You will be working with our multi specialist team of Entrepreneurs, Innovators, Web-Developers, Data Scientists and Software Developers.
Most importantly, you will be a great person to work with and great at what you do.
What you will do:
The role demands the ability to work on your own initiative, and each day will be different, but involves:
- Our data: Our RTICs are essential to our businesses and future growth. Your focus will be to support our existing data team to streamline our processes, improve monitoring, improve testing, and improve the reliability of our update cycles so our RTICs are as accurate as possible.
- Implementation: Implement and maintain database solutions, data processing systems, and ETL processes.
- Innovation: Understanding and shaping the questions we should answer and the products we should make to solve the current and future challenges of our customers.
- Data Story Communication: You will be responsible for engaging with existing and potential customers to get the most from our products and to demonstrate how they can be applied.
- Updates: Stay updated with emerging technologies and trends in data engineering.
All of the team at The Data City are involved in the day to day running of projects, development of software and our data assets, we expect that in addition to your data engineer responsibilities you will be also involved in:
- Working with our clients & customers to understand their drivers and requirements.
- Conducting research.
- Writing blog posts, case studies and reports.
- General administrative duties.
- Social media output & engagement.
- Events/ hackathons & innovation pathways.
Your qualifications and experience:
You will have varied experience, so we don’t have a ‘tick box’ of requirements, but are looking for someone who probably has:
- A demonstrable specialism and background in data.
- Qualifications or experience in data or computer science, marketing, science, engineering, maths, economics, policy, business, social science or another relevant subject.
- 1-2 years of experience in a data engineering or similar role (internships count).
- Familiarity with SQL and experience with relational databases.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a clear writing style.
- Proficiency in Python.
- An understanding of ETL tools and data warehousing concepts.
- Experience with cloud platforms like AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- An interest in exploring orchestration tools such as Airflow.
- Proficient in Git for version control with solid foundational skills.
- Familiarity with the concepts of Docker and containerisation technology.
What we will provide:
- Opportunity to work in a world leading data science and economics scale-up – with big ambitions and the team to deliver these.
- The opportunity to work in our open-plan, collaborative innovation workspace at in central Leeds, we encourage office working to support team development, your knowledge and growth and this role would need to be in the office at least three days a week.
- Guidance on your work with autonomy to create and implement your ideas.
- Flexible work hours. We have very high standards and we trust you to meet them without micro-management.
- The tools, computers, and software, that you need to do a great job.
- OKRs plan focused on supporting you to deliver YOUR best.
- An extensive Vitality healthcare package
- Medicash plan
- Nest pension
- Benefits designed around you (whilst we have socials and team activities, our benefits packages are designed around each person- because we know a high performing team is made up for very different types of people. Whilst buying a bike for one person might be brilliant, for another it could be redesigning their home office, or paying for training…)
Please send: a cover letter (no more than one page) & a CV (no more than two pages). Examples of your work are expected and alternatives to a standard CV are very much encouraged, but please keep them short.
1st stage – interviews will be done as a short phonecall – only prep required would be to research our company (circa 15 minutes)
2nd stage – a task will be set involving your using our platform to create insight around a specific focus, you would return this ahead of presenting in a Teams interview- where the team would discuss your work with you
3rd stage – potentially an in person meeting to ensure team fit
We will be interviewing for this role before the deadline, therefore you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
We are open to flexible/part-time and other options – please do apply as we want to make this position as accessible as possible.